Search This Blog

8.11.2010

"Louis" & Brubeck Come to Philadelphia!

Hi Friends and Happy Wednesday!

I recently learned of two upcoming performances coming to Philadelphia, both of which are sure to be excellent, so I wanted to share!

First, "Louis: A Silent Film" is scheduled to be performed at the Keswick Theater on Tuesday, August 31, 2010.  This will be the only performance in Philadelphia, and it appears to be the final performance of the show's run.  The show will feature live musical performances by Wynton Marsalis and pianist Cecile Licad, as well as a 10-piece "all-star" jazz ensemble.

Taken from the show's website, "LOUIS is an homage to Louis Armstrong, Charlie Chaplin, beautiful women, and the birth of American music."  This fascinates me on multiple levels, as I have been wanting to see Wynton Marsalis perform, and I also would love to know more about the life of Armstrong, in addition to what I know from watching Ken Burns' "Jazz" documentary a few years back.  For more details about the show, and to purchase tickets, click here!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second performance that I wanted to let you all know about is one I am especially excited for:  Dave Brubeck at Verizon Hall at the Kimmel Center!!  Okay, so this performance is not until October, but I am planning on purchasing tickets now, for fear that it will sell out.  I have hesitated in the past and lost, so now I am proactive :)  The exact date and time is Tuesday, October 26, 2010.  For more details about this event, and to purchase tickets, click here!

I don't know if anyone watched the Kennedy Center Honors this year (I never watch award shows, but I happened to be with my grandmother at the time, who does), but the tribute to Brubeck was phenomenal.  Here is one clip from the evening.  You just do not see live jazz like this on prime time national television anymore, and the look on Brubeck's face when they announced his sons performing moved me to tears!  This was said at the Honors about Brubeck and his music:  "Jazz, like the country of its birth, is forever a dazzling work in progress.  The genius of that progress for more than six decades... is embodied in Dave Brubeck's music."



I do not know that I will be able to attend both events, but I am planning to purchase at least two tickets to the Brubeck performance within the next couple of days.  I do not yet know who I am taking with me, so if you are interested, please contact me offline :)

Hope you can make it out to at least one of these fabulous events!

Always,
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment