Search This Blog

7.29.2010

Still "Time" & Place for Jazz in Philly

Hi Friends!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending a few hours at Time, a combination restaurant, whiskey bar and tap room, and Bohemian Absinthe Lounge (yes, you read that correctly--Absinthe).  This sophisticated yet casual restaurant and bar touts on its website the spot's uniqueness as "Three concepts, one address."  Time is probably best known for its extensive whiskey list, and you can enjoy live music there each Wednesday through Saturday during happy hour.

My primary purpose for going last night was to check out a jazz trio that plays on Wednesday evenings during happy hour (from 5 pm - 8 pm, to be exact).  I know the bass player--the very talented Brian Howell--who strongly recommended I check it out.  So, I gathered a couple of friends and went on over.  We were not disappointed!  Last night's trio featured Brian on bass, Peter Gaudioso on drums, and Tim Wendel on guitar.  The trio perfectly accompanied the dimly lit, elegant atmosphere of the bar, and my glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.  :)  


Speaking of wine, while my friends and I were there, we took advantage of the Center City Sips specials that are offered at various bars and restaurants throughout Center City every Wednesday during the summer, from 5pm - 7 pm.  Time participates in "Sips," and its specials include:

$2 Straub Drafts & Miller High Life Bottles
$3 House Red & House White
$4 Presbyterians & Philadelphia Collins
$4 Seasonal Risotto Balls or Sweet & Sour Meatballs 

As for my review of the food, I tried an order of each of the "balls", and they were both fabulous.  In fact, the Risotto Balls in particular were so delicious, I ordered them twice!  What can I say?  I can eat!

My overall impression of Time was a positive one, and I would highly recommend checking it out next Wednesday if you can.  Even the music playing as you peruse the website gets you in the groove!  Seriously, you could listen to it all day.  Try it.    

1315 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA 19107 (Directions)
(215) 985-4800

As a side note, Brian also performs at Chris' Jazz Cafe on Tuesday nights from 10 pm - 2 am with the Victor North Quartet, for the Jazz Jam session.  Admission is only $3, and Chris' website states this about the North and the Jam Session: "This versatile side man is so awesome on the tenor saxophone it earned him a place in Chris' Jazz Hall of Fame.  Come experience this jazz phenom from Alaska - he's so hot, he's cool."  

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Tina

P.S. Don't forget to check out Jump City Jazz tonight at Le Cochon Noir! 

No comments:

Post a Comment