Search This Blog

3.22.2011

BOX FIVE at Andrea Clearfield's Salon!!

Hello Friends!

Wanted to let you know about a somewhat "exclusive," entirely fantastic event happening this weekend.  Box Five will be back in Philly, performing once again at composer Andrea Clearfield's musical Salon on Sunday evening, March 27th.  I am delighted that Mary Bichner (rockstar and "brainchild" of Box Five) has again asked me to be a part of it.  This will be my third experience performing with Mary and Box Five at the Salon.

Andrea Clearfield's Salon

If you are not familiar with the Salon, a variety of artists will each perform one 10-minute set throughout the course of the evening. My role will be playing clarinet on one piece with Box Five, "Scylla and Charibdys", which happens to be one of my personal favorites!  You can listen to the track (and purchase it if you like it :) here!  The following has been said about the Salon, (taken from Andrea Clearfield's website):

"The Salon, a performance series in the home and modeled after the 19th Century European salons, was founded in September 1986 by composer Andrea Clearfield. Andrea hosted monthly Salons from September through May at her Spruce Street apartment in central Philadelphia, and in 2003 moved into a larger space to accommodate the growing number of audience attending. Unlike the Salons of the past, this Salon was conceived with the idea of integrating different music genres as well as other arts. The Salon features not only classical chamber music and opera, but also jazz, original contemporary compositions, electronic, improvisation, folk, experimental, world music, poetry, dance and multimedia works."

Goli, the awesome cello and marimba duo based out of Boston will be performing as well, and if you haven't heard them before, their talent is extremely impressive, and their sound is unique and beautiful -- a true treat for the ears!

Me with Mary Bichner (Box Five) & Valerie Thompson (Goli) at the Box Five CD Release Party at Tritone, December 2010

More Details:
BOX FIVE @ Andrea Clearfield's Salon
When: Sunday, March 27th @ 7:00pm
Where: [invitation only]*
Cost: $10 suggested donation (all ages)
*Invitation only; please e-mail me if you would like to attend & I will try to get you in! 

In closing, I thought I would leave you with the lyrics to the song I will be performing with Mary.  Enjoy, and I hope to see you at the Salon!

Musically yours,
Tina


Lyrics to "Scylla and Charibdys"

No more distraction, it's full speed ahead 
Though halfway home, I am not there yet 
Far from the harbor we glide through the water 
With nary a sigh 

Carefully I sail along 
Steering clear of your song 
And plaintively you wail away 
Begging me that I stay 

I may be strong, but I'm not made of stone: 
Blame this traversing the sea alone 
Swallow the ocean and crack us wide open 
With nary a sigh 

Shakily I sail along 
Weakening at your song 
And plaintively you wail away 
Begging me that I stay 

(And then I give way) 

Merrily I sail along 
Giving in to your song 
And conqueringly you flail away 
Sinking me so I stay

No comments:

Post a Comment